Running on - History...

I have been nothing if not doggedly persistent in creating a consistent running 'life'. I start well - gung ho and all - then, for a variety of reasons, I fall off the wagon. Lack of motivation, disappointment at perceived lack of progress (although looking back at my running journals, I know I've progressed...only to stop and lose all forward momentum), laziness (honesty here, Janet), and (some days) pure hatred for the sport.

It's been almost 9 years of this dogged persistence. Nine years of running, stopping, running, stopping. Nine years of dreaming of making it stick - of becoming a 'runner' - of, yes, participating in that elusive full marathon. Nine freakin' years!

So, here I am. Determined, yet again, to make this stick. And I'm going back to the start. Couch to Full Marathon. I am not a couch potato in the true sense of the C25K/C210K programs that litter the internet. I do run (ran 2 miles non-stop just this past week - slow as molasses and sky-high heart rate), but in order to really accomplish this goal, I plan to start over.

One of the reasons is that number 2 excuse up there: Disappointment at perceived lack of progress. I am slow - always been slow - but I am getting slower. So when I go out and run a 2 mile non-stop and my fancy new watch tells me I would be faster walking (k - it didn't, but it should have) and that my cadence is red-lining, I get frustrated. And, with all things in my life, when I get frustrated I quit. Yet, I can go out and do fast intervals well below the pace most women my age run! My starting over will, hopefully, let me build on that speedy side of my running. Give me hope for something better than a fast walk pace.

This is my online journal of my C2FM journey. I'll post my highs (and lows - there will be lots, let me tell you), my plan, my roadblocks, my celebrations. If not for those also facing that on/off again running life, for those just starting out. Mostly, it will be for me - my quest for C2FM - an online document that will, hopefully, keep me accountable and give me some motivation when the times get tough (and I know, the times will get very tough).

J

Comments

  1. I know you can do it, Janet! You've got a fantastic base after the last year so you're starting from a terrific place. Will be interested in hear more about the program you're following when I see you on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment