Running on - Comparisons...

I am my own worst enemy! The other day I was out for my run and happened to look to the side...and there I was. Or at least, my shadow. And what did the pesky little voice in my head say?

Gah, you look terrible. You call that running?

I tried to ignore it but as I ran, I felt those words right down to my running shoe-clad feet (that were obviously shuffling along and not looking like runners's feet). I attempted to put more bounce in my step. I held my arms at more of an angle. Basically, contorted what was natural to me into what I think a runner looks like.

Two days later I was at the pool. Guess who else showed up? Silly little voice in my head as I happened to look at the person swimming laps next to me.

Look how smooth he is, how strong his stroke is. You look like you're half-asleep!

This is not unusual for me to a) hear voices in my head and b) compare my form to an ideal I 'think' is perfect.

I need to a) ignore that nasty voice and b) run and swim to the best of my abilities. Both of these will take some work.

J

Comments