Running on - Real Life...

Yep, it can and will get in the way of any perfect training plan, any scheduled workout, any pre-determined day. Today, real life struck.

I am knee deep in both my Day Job and my 'other' job (editing), so I am burning the candle at both ends. But I am determined to keep up with my workouts. Today, I had a swim scheduled (with resistance band workout to follow). In my head, the day was planned - almost down to the minute.  Half an hour before I was to leave for my swim, I checked the live schedule at the swim center...

Pool closed between 1 and 2:15.

Smack dab in the time slot I usually go to the pool. OK, no problem. A little re-arranging, all is good.

I left for the pool somehow knowing that I most likely wouldn't be swimming. I don't do crowds. I certainly don't do pool crowds. If the pool was full, which I thought it might be, I wouldn't go. I had to be OK with that.

As guessed, the pool was packed (I always sneak a peak through the floor to ceiling windows before I scan my swim card. I am blind without my glasses, so I like to have a heads up as to what lanes are available, how many people are swimming). I'm pretty sure my shoulders slumped when I glanced in and saw all those people. Swim workout aborted.

I came home (after picking up a library book, so all was not lost) and did my resistance band workout, all the while mourning the fact I didn't get my swim. I walked the dog, again mentally carping about the busyness of the pool. When I came home, I wrote in my journal. The physical act of putting my thoughts to paper made me realize that all was not lost. I may not have got my swim in, but it's considered an active recovery from my run...the walk with Zoe and Ron covered that off. And, I did my weight workout - high priority for this C2FM challenge.

The pool will still be there. Maybe I'll try on Friday. It's not that big of a deal - and it's a good lesson in not only letting go, but in understanding that real life will get in the way of this challenge...and it's how I respond that will foster success.

Hmm - thanks, Real Life. Good lessons to learn.

J

Comments