Running on - Treadmills...

A week ago, my nephew posted on his Twitter account his latest workout - a 3.5 mile sprint interval workout. Let me just say, I was impressed. But some 'guy' had to go 'there' and tell David that he should be running outside, to never run on a treadmill. Now I have no idea where this guy is from, but in Saskatchewan (where my nephew lives), winter is horrendous. Bitter cold, biting wind, icy roads and, usually, unshovelled sidewalks. To run outside is a hazard.

Luckily, David has a treadmill. My niece doesn't and is looking at a long winter of alternate activity before hitting the roads again in the spring to gear up for a half in May. Is she could have a treadmill, she would. I don't think either of them particularly enjoy treadmill running, but it serves a purpose.

I happen to love treadmill running. And am lucky enough to own one. Today, with the wind howling at 40+ k/h and gusts up to 80k/h, I was happy to plug the machine in. Do I think treadmill running is cheating? Hell no! Do I think I get as good a workout as pounding the pavement? According to the sweat dripping in my eyes, I'd have to say yes. Plus, for me, the bonus is being able to really work on technique. Quick turnover, proper alignment (lean too far back and you'll lose your balance, lean too far forward and your feet will hit the front plastic cover), good kick (I tend to shuffle outside, so the treadmill really helps me get that kick as I push off) and pacing.

Did I mention the sweating? I have no qualms about plugging in my treadmill. And if it gets me logging miles when some people have to watch out the window from their couch, then bring it on. FYI - my plan for this C2FM has one day a week treadmill running (see the reasons why above).

J

Comments