Swimming on - Technique...

Since I was swimming today - hard to find a title for that with 'Running on' as its lead in!

I taught myself how to swim the front crawl a couple of years ago, inspired by my friend Brenda yet again (hell, she's a plethora of inspiration). She had been to a swim camp where they were teaching immersion swimming and she showed me what she had learned. I was intrigued. It looked so peaceful, quiet, meditative - doubly so as I compared it to my form of front crawl (think thrashing, heavy breathing, sinking).

So, a membership was purchased and YouTube videos were watched. Slowly, I managed to stop thrashing, breathe evenly, and (eventually) swim a full 25 meters. I built on that. After a year, I was swimming almost a kilometer non-stop in half-decent form. Then, my membership was done and (can you guess), I stopped going to the pool.

In a renewed effort, I am back in the pool and working on getting my form back. Today was a happy 5 non-stop laps - then a bunch more laps alternating breast stroke with front crawl. And what did I do before I left for the pool? Watched a video to remind me of that slow, relaxed technique. I still  have a long way to go - and I have the added goal of dropping the number of strokes it takes to do a lap (right now, I take 25 strokes - I hope to get that down to 20 to be more meditative, not to mention less tired).

#bringiton

J

Comments

  1. Youre motivating me to get back to the pool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you get back from your epic Athens Marathon sign up for that fabulous pool you have there. You know how much you love swimming ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment