Swimming on - A Beat...

Finally got back into the pool after 2 weeks 'off' (wow, it's been two weeks since I was at the pool). When I say 'off', I mean I went to to the pool, saw it was busy and came back home. I think I've mentioned, I don't like when the pool is busy. Today, I had almost the entire pool to myself!

So, the goal (yep, there's that word again), was to swim one lap front crawl, one lap breast stroke for 30 laps total. There was no technical goal, just wanted to swim nice and easy and keep my breathing even and controlled. The first couple of laps were not so easy - not so controlled - and not so nice. I felt like a fish out water (is that the right metaphor for this discussion?). I ended up stopping in the shallow end and taking a few deep, calming breaths. Then, I started again.

Much better. It helps me to stay relaxed if I count rhythmically. So on a beat only I could hear, I moved slowly down the lane, visualizing a dance in the water. My breathing evened out, I wasn't gulping for air (like a fish out of water...aha, that's better), and my body rolled in time on both sides (I tend to hold my arm out of the water for a second or two more on the right side when I take a breath - so the roll to the other side is not as long). At one point, I believe I was in a meditative state.

Awesome!

J

Comments

  1. So glad the swim went well! And the way you've written about it makes me want to head to a pool soon. I remember doing laps felt meditative when I swam regularly at university. It would be good feel that way about it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really focusing on that meditative state, Janice - as you remember, it feels good. I've done walking meditation before and, if I can calm my monkey mind, find it much more restorative than sitting meditation.
      BTW - the LCLC pool is awesome (you know, for when you get down here full time ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment