Running on - NOT Feeling the Love...

I could have used Running on - Dislike, but I thought that was rather strong.  Some days, though...

You know those runners? All about the LOVE. Loving every run. Excited beyond belief at getting out the door (no matter the weather or time) to run 5, 8, 10+ miles. And good for them, but...

They really make it hard for a beginner (or even a 'been running on and off for years') runner because there has never been a moment I have felt that kind of love for running! I would never get up before my alarm because I was excited about the scheduled run (and would most likely hit the snooze button the requisite number of times as per usual...3, if anyone wants to know). I have never looked out the window and fist-pumped at the sight of snow and ice because I get to wear my winter running tights and brand new running toque.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have had some good runs. I am even guilty of using #awesome on Twitter after a run. But before the actual run? This is what it usually sounds like in my head:

Let's get ready - a nice easy 2 miler today.
I don't want to.
It'll be fine once we get going.
Nope, still don't want to. Who's idea was this?
Ours. We can do it.
Don't want to. It's ______ (fill in the bland with cold, hot, wet, icy, stupid - you get the idea).

It goes on for a long time - until I drag my ass out the door (or not - which is why I'm always restarting a program) and get moving. So maybe those very happy, feeling-the-love people could find it in their hearts to tone down the exuberance - maybe even let us know that they, too, are having a bad day - that not all of their runs are filled with unicorns and rainbows. Just once, let us down in the 'gut it out' trenches feel like we're not losers for disliking this sport.

Just once.

J

Comments