Running on - Technology...

Had a little problem with my watch yesterday - my carefully crafted workout (and the witty notes I left for myself) did not load and I was left scrambling. Or should I say doing #runnersmath! I wanted to do a 2 mile non-stop with speed sections (30s at the end of every mile). Falling back on a previous workout I had on the watch, I was able to keep tabs on the time/mileage in order to do those 30s speedy intervals. But I wasn't happy.

That got me thinking that I rely on my watch too much. A couple of years ago I ditched the watch. I've run this neck of the woods so often, I know my mile markers by heart. So, I just ran. No watch keeping tabs on miles. No watch to let me know how fast (or slow, as the case may be) I was. No watch! And it was liberating. I loved it.

Yet here I am - years later and a brand new watch to boot. Greedily soaking up all the data that little piece of technology can offer after my runs (hell, I've even done it with some of my walks with Zoe). I love the graphs, the stats, the video feature that lets me run my course again while watching the graphs (seriously, it is so cool). BUT - when the technology causes me to curse at the start of my run (more so than usual), it may be time to re-evaluate.

I hereby promise to have one technology free run day a week. (I will log my miles, however, as I am working on a secret mission over and above C2FM).

J

Planned workout - Weights, Chin-up/Pull-up; Actual workout - AM/PM walks with Zoe as Ron is working
Push-up/Plank Challenge - Rest Day

Comments