Running on - Lessons Learned...

Did it! Got out and ran a longish run (a little over 5 miles). Didn't set any land speed records, which gave me lots of time to contemplate. Here's what I gleaned from today's run:

1. Taking the time to do a couple of intervals around the 'hood helps to decide on clothing choices. I ditched my jacket on the first lap as I knew I would be too warm.

2. 7/3 intervals are good, but I kept noticing that I was ready to run at the 1:30 mark of the walk break.

3. Going to the left (up river and then up Conquerall Bank Hill) should be a mandatory route for my long runs if I plan on running a very hilly half in October.

4. It helps to take my mind off the run if I am having issues (breathing, pacing) and math is the perfect distraction (today was figuring out how many pages I have to edit on a new manuscript edit job knowing only the word count).

5. I do not do well running past the turn up to the 'hood. I had planned to run 8 intervals, but at the end of 6 I was also at the end of the subdivision. I know before I've run past (and been extremely proud of my rockstar status), but today was not one of those days and the lure of home (and hot chocolate and fresh out of the oven homemade cookies I knew Ron had made in my absence) could not be ignored.

All in all - good lessons learned. And a pretty awesome run.

J

Comments