Running on - Spinning Off...

Vertigo - it is not a pleasant experience. When I came back from my run on Saturday, I got on the floor to do my stretching, as per usual. The standard plank, bridge, clams, hamstring, hip flexor routine got cut short when the room started spinning. 'Uh oh' flashed through my head (OK, I may have said the word that rhymes with #grit out loud).

You see, this has happened once before. After a run. And I was out (in bed, immobile, sick-to-my-stomach) for 3 days before the room stopped spinning. I did not want that to happen again. So, I immediately got up - to hell with stretching! And sent a silent wish out to The Universe to keep the vertigo at bay.

The rest of the day was fine. I spent three hours in the garden - weeding, planting, weeding, cutting back, weeding (seriously, why don't I just go with weeds instead of flowers) and no problem whatsoever. Ron and I walked Zoe (yes, that took me to 10 miles for the day - and with all the gardening, my watch told me I had stepped the equivalent of 22km). All good.

Got up in the middle of the night Sat., and 'uh oh'! Now, thankfully, it never came on full bore. The dizziness was just in the peripheral, enough to be annoying, but not enough to keep me from doing all my regular Sunday chores. Monday, it was still lingering. I opted to keep a low profile (of course, being on the computer for work probably didn't help, but I do have a job). This morning, I could still sense it, but it was better.

So, I went out for my run. Not intervals, as was my plan. So happy I did go - am feeling much better and I managed 3 miles non-stop! The vertigo seems to have abated (fingers crossed, touch wood, make human sacrifice to The Universe). A quick Google search indicates that vertigo can occur if one is dehydrated...I won't mention anything about the fact I ran/walked for 1 hour 40 minutes on Sat. with no water (not mentioning it at all).

Excuse me, please - I need to go and search for my water bottles.

J

Comments