Running on - Planned Workouts...

I have been less than dedicated to The Plan! Don't get me wrong, I've been doing all my running workouts...just not according to The Plan.

Why? Most likely my ego thinking I don't need to go back to those kind of intervals...or that I should be 'running' non-stop...or fear (that fear is for another day). Whatever the reason, I have not been following The Plan to the letter. Or should I say, the numbers. Today, I decided I really should do at least two run days according to The Plan.

Today was a .25/.25 (talking miles, not time) interval run/walk for 2 miles. I created the workout (with a 5 minute warm-up and motivational notes), downloaded it to the watch and off I went. The idea was to run strong, maybe a little fast, and in control. There were also the added goals of making sure my heart rate didn't soar too high during the run segments and that it dropped during the walks, and that my cadence was relatively quick.

I checked all the boxes. AND when I got home and downloaded the run to check my splits, I was pleasantly surprised. 10:11, 9:26, 10:35 and 9:22. I never once felt out of control. My heart rate stayed in the upper aerobic threshold range during the runs and dropped to the 'easy' range during the walk breaks. My turnover was in the green (love my watch for that cadence feature - green = 167-173 steps per minute) with the last run sporting some blue (174-183spm).

There are still many, many weeks left on The Plan. I can't wait to see how today's run translates as those run interval times get longer.

J

Comments

  1. Fantastic, Janet! And it's very cool that you're making such good use of your Garmin. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love my new watch, Janice. I am kind of a stats geek - so all the different options are fascinating to check out. I think I may have to dedicate a run or two a month to watchless, though, so I don't get too caught up in the technical side of running.

      Delete

Post a Comment