Running on - More Thoughts on Goals...

'They say' that you should always have 3 goals going into a race: your A-game goal (perfect conditions, feeling awesome), your secondary goal (perhaps bad weather, not feeling 100%) and your what-would-I be-happy-with goal (most likely to be pulled up during the race when things aren't going according to plan). So I've been thinking I need to have 3 goals for this project.

The first goal, obviously, is to get myself from the couch (figuratively, as I have been doing some running and haven't been a total sloth going into this project) to full marathon. It's on the bucket list - and with my friend Brenda running and finishing her first marathon in Greece, I am inspired to give it a go. This is a BIG goal and, honestly, it scares the hell out of me!

The second goal, as I've mentioned previously, may be a shorter, but challenging race. I've blogged about one such race HERE, but there's also another one I'm looking at which is a road race and not without its ups and downs! I'll blog more about it another time.

I haven't given much thought to a what-would-I-be-happy-with goal. Something to do as I put in the miles over the next couple of months. There has to be one, so that at the end of all this I am not wondering why I even bothered...or worse, losing momentum and finding myself lying on the ground as the wagon circles. Really, I think this third goal might be the most important one...

And I would think that for a race day goal, it would be most important, too. A real in-depth look of the thin line between 'yay, I did it' and 'crap'. I, personally, think that line is very thin.

J

Comments