Running on - For Mental Health...

Ooh, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Grumpy is too kind of a word to describe my mood before I even swung my legs out of bed. And it didn't get much better - my work site wouldn't let me log in, I had an e-mail reminding me of a deadline that I was perfectly aware of (thank you very much), and I had promised to make a frittata for breakfast to use up some leftover potatoes (I do not do well in the morning at the best of times, to add cooking to the mix really did me in).

I wanted to ditch the one mile run. I wanted to say 'I did four days of streaking, I could have a break'. I wanted to crawl back into bed.

But it was only a mile (see this post for my mantra that I keep forgetting to chant). Not an hour. Not even 30 minutes. And I knew - I KNEW - that stepping onto that treadmill, no matter if I ended up walking or running, I would feel 100% better.

And it did. Once I got my 3 minutes of walking in, I was ready to tackle the run. So ready, that I opted for 30s sprints to get my mile. By the time I was finished, I had a smile on my face and was ready to tackle the strength training that I promised myself I could ditch if I got my run in. Even had 10 minutes of dancing to end the session.

Amazing what a little sweat can do for my mental health.

J

Comments