Running on - Heart Rate Training...

A week or so ago when I did an awesome hill workout with Janice, we got talking about Dr. Phil Maffetone and briefly chatted about heart rate training. It got me thinking and today I decided to do a short heart rate session.

Now, there are a ton of different heart rate calculations out there. The standard (220-age, then % of that number for varying training sessions - tempo, anaerobic, aerobic, etc) and Maffetone's (180-age = target heart rate sessions) and everything in between. Google it, you'll be amazed.

I opted for Maffetone's, having just finished his very interesting book Overfat Pandemic. Jumped on the treadmill and began. Yowzers! that was was incredibly eye-opening. I had to walk most of the 30 minutes - the very slow run taking my heart rate up to 124 and then walking to get it back down. Now, mind you, the 30 hour passed relatively quickly watching my watch and adjusting the treadmill - and, surprisingly, it was a very pleasant workout. Not sure how I feel about all of my runs being 'there' (he advocates for every run done at that heart rate pace, claiming that eventually your pace increases, but your heart rate doesn't). Gonna give it some thought.

For more info on Heart Rate Training, here's a good article: https://www.runnersworld.com/beginner/a20812270/should-i-do-heart-rate-training/

J

Comments

  1. So confused....I will never understand heart rate math.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - and so many variants. I did find a good site that does the calculations for you (based on the Karvonen Formula???? - taking in your age and resting heart rate). I keep looking at HRT because of the great strides people make with it - but it really is slow, so I'll use it with my other running workouts (hills, speed, non-stop, intervals).
      https://www.lifespanfitness.com/fitness/resources/target-heart-rate-calculator

      Delete

Post a Comment