Running on - After a Week Off...

Well, hello there ;)

I took a week off. My knee (see here) was giving me grief on my walk last Friday and with Ron gone, I was on Zoe duty. Now, that's not really an excuse. Last August when he was gone, I did the Zoe duty, dropped her off at home, did my run. Somehow, I just couldn't see myself doing that this time (and the cool, damp weather might have played a part in my decision to not head back out after doing a couple of laps around the 'hood with Zoe in the morning).

Ron's back and I am 8 weeks out of a trail run I've signed up for. An 11k, rather difficult (hilly) trail run, so no more excuses. I had to get out there today. It's so much easier after taking time off to just keep taking time off. Much, much easier than getting back out for a run. I was determined not to let a week morph into two!

The run wasn't easy. Wait - the first mile and a half were effortless, really felt good. There wasn't any speed, but my legs were happy, breathing was steady and heart rate was down. This should be celebrated - it's been a while since a mile and a half have felt so easy! One day soon, 2 miles will feel just as easier. Next thing you know, 3 miles will be a piece of cake. Etcetera, Etcetera, Etcetera!

After that mile and half, the run got difficult. I hung on to the 30 minute mark, then took a walk break. I knew if I started out again, I would be walking relatively soon - so I picked up the pace for a minute (running in the low 10m/M pace and working on my cadence), then walked for a minute. I did 5 of those. Then, it was walk/run/walk/run until I hit the end of the subdivision. The walk back to the house was leisurely and I mentally patted myself on the back for getting out there and getting it done!

8 weeks - time to put in some real effort! I'll keep you posted.

J

Comments