Running on - Speed Work and Runner's High...

It was a blistering fast (for me) speed workout today. Considering I had no gumption to get out there and get it done, very pleased with the effort and result.

The plan was 2/1s x 15, looking for speed. I had done a 2/1 x 10 workout two weeks ago and it taxed me, so 15 reps was really going to take focus and determination. I had neither - so the plan was to go out and do at least 10. If I really felt like crap, less. The main thing would be getting out there - not sitting at home on the computer dreaming of chips!!

At the 5th interval, I thought I may throw-up. I tried to get myself to slow down, but the feet were all about fast...and, truth be told, my 5K personal best was niggling into my thoughts. I kept going, promising myself that I could quit this speed workout at 10 reps. When I got to my turn around point and had yet to do 8 reps, I was inspired (and doing math). 10 reps saw me doing more math and wondering if I could post a PB. Overriding all those thoughts and the simple math was my decision to do just one more rep.

As my friend Julie would say, we can do anything for 2 minutes. My negotiating side was butting in with the promise that if I did one more, I could switch my run/walk to a walk/run (1/2s) for the rest of the distance.

11 became 12 - 12 became 13, 13 became 14 and I had the big decision to either end (I was at the bottom of the subdivision) or finish the pre-planned workout.

I finished the 15!! And was incredibly pumped with my 'stick-to-it'ness! It was only after I got home and plugged in my watch that I realized I had set a PB for 5K. This is after setting a PB only last week for the 5K running 4/1s.

So, new PB is 36:28 (#slowasmolasses). Bring it on...and well done, Janet ;)

J

Comments